Electrical Service for Residential Builders

Whether you’re building one home or a subdivision, we’re here to help.

How it works: The process for requesting new or upgraded electrical service

Once you have determined which type of service you need, submit your request online via PowerPartner and a service and design project manager will review it and get back to you.

The form should include: connected load in kilowatts (kW), load schedule, site plans, landscaping plans, and other critical details so the service and design project manager can complete their review.

Note that the project can’t begin until we receive all your documentation.

You will need to get building and electrical permits from the city or county, as well as easements and tree-trimming permits if required.

The project can’t begin until we receive complete documentation. Your DPM will outline what’s needed based on your specific project.

Once we have all your documents, we will design service for your site, which may take up to 60 days from the given design commitment date depending on the specifics of the project.

Once you have worked with your project manager to design service, contact us using PowerPartner to arrange a pre-construction meeting between the excavation contractor and us at the site.

Before digging a trench, consult our trench checklist for residential or commercial construction and check with your assigned project manager for design approval.

Call 811 or visit Call Before You Dig to locate existing underground utilities before digging. This service is free.

Right-of-way excavation must be performed by a PGE approved contractor. Your SDPM can supply you with information about approved contractors in your area.

After all construction work is completed and we inspect and approve the design and work, we will schedule the connection of service within 5 to 10 business days. To ensure you’re ready, take a look at our final inspection checklist before scheduling your inspection.

Make sure the work site is clear and safe before the inspector arrives.

Request residential service

To begin the process of getting new residential service or for a remodel project where you current have residential service, sign up or log in to PowerPartner PowerPartner and complete the Request for Single Family Residential Service or, for a subdivision, complete the Request for Multifamily and Residential Development.

After you submit your request, we’ll email you shortly with further information and instructions.

As of May 2022, Gold Temporary Service is $963 for an initial six month period and $415 per six month renewal. This price includes installation, all energy used, and removal of the temporary service.

Request temporary service

If desired, you can request temporary service from PGE for your build project. Learn about temporary service options.

To request temporary power, contact the service desk at 503-323-6700 M-F 7:30am-4:30pm.

For residential builders: Frequently asked questions

Can my electricity trench also accommodate other utility lines?

Yes, natural gas, telephone, TV and internet cable may be placed in the same trench as long as the lines are separated to specified distances.

In some cases, private electric lines, such as those from a house to a gate, or private water lines, may also be installed in the trench. One of our SDPMs (service and design project managers) can provide this information.

See the full Residential Builder FAQ.

Use our checklists to help move your project forward

Before you start, see our helpful checklist for information and preparation work you may need to do before and during your project.

Residential builder and remodeler checklist

Commercial builder checklist

LEDs lead the way

Lighting has a big impact on your energy costs, and LEDs are now the top choice for many commercial lighting applications.