Hydropower on the Clackamas River
River Mill, an Ambursen dam began generating power in 1911. It's on the National Register of Historic Places and generates enough power for more than 10,000 homes.
Faraday was our first dam. Then called the Cazadero Dam, it began operation in 1907, and was rebuilt after damage from a 1964 flood. For more than a century, this dam has been diverting water to Faraday Lake and through the powerhouse, generating enough electricity to power more than 17,000 homes. As part of our continued investment in upgrades to our Clackamas hydro system, the Faraday Powerhouse is being rebuilt to address long-term operational safety and improve generation efficiency, ensuring a stable power supply for decades to come.
In operation since 1958, the North Fork facility generates enough electricity to power nearly 20,000 homes. PGE also uses the dam to control flow downriver to Faraday and River Mill.
The Oak Grove powerhouse, in operation since 1924, is PGE’s most efficient hydro facility. A sharp drop in elevation means water flows into the powerhouse at a very fast speed, generating enough electricity to power more than 24,000 homes.
In 1956, Timothy Lake was created to provide additional storage. In the summer months, the lake provides recreation opportunities. During the rest of the year, the lake is managed to capture rain and snow melt for peak operation of the Oak Grove plant. Timothy Lake has kokanee, eastern brook, rainbow and cutthroat trout. The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife stocks the lake with rainbows throughout the summer. The lake is also host to a number of PGE-owned public parks and campgrounds.