Electrical safety is mainly an exercise in common sense, but it helps to know some fundamentals of how electricity works. Use our guidelines to keep your family and business safe.
If you see a downed or sagging line, stay at least 50 feet away!
A downed line doesn’t have to spark to be dangerous.
Don’t touch anything near a downed power line.
If a person or animal is in contact with electricity, stay back.
If a line falls on your car, stay in your vehicle.
Never use gasoline, propane or charcoal burning devices inside your home or garage.
Electricity is always seeking a path to the ground through water, trees, metal, wood, concrete, as well as people and animals.
These things don’t have to touch a wire to electrocute you, so always keep yourself and your equipment at least 20 feet away from power lines. It’s not only safe, it’s also the law.
Even in historically wet, mild Oregon, summers are getting hotter and dryer with longer wildfire seasons, and the overall risk of wildfires is increasing. Because the electrical grid has the potential to cause wildfires, we’re doing more now to reduce the risk later, and keep you – and Oregon – safe.