Learn how to use electricity safely in your home.
Electricity is always seeking a path to the ground through water, trees, metal, wood, concrete, as well as people and animals. These things don’t have to touch a wire to electrocute you, so always keep yourself and your equipment at least 20 feet away from power lines. It’s not only safe, it’s also the law.
Breaker or fuse boxes control electric circuits in your home and are protective devices. If you can’t explain a circuit “trip,” call an electrician and never “cheat” a fuse box with a penny — you’re only inviting the possibility of fire.
Cut, punctured or scuffed electric cords are dangerous! Replace them immediately.
Never run a cord under a rug or through a wet area.
Three-pronged plugs are essential. The third prong is there to ground the wire and prevent shocks, so never tamper with it.
If an appliance sputters, sparks or buzzes, turn it off and get it fixed. Make sure any electric appliance you purchase has the Underwriters Laboratory tag or label (UL Approved).
Never overload a circuit or daisy-chain power strips. This invites danger by overloading the circuit.
Make sure any portable space heaters have a protective shut-off if tipped.
Never use space heaters near curtains or flammable material.
It still happens: People stick forks in toasters while the toaster is working. Always unplug or turn off any appliance before working with it.