As we work toward Oregon’s clean energy future, we’re strengthening the energy grid to make it smarter, more efficient and more reliable for you. Among our many projects, we’re planning to expand and upgrade our Arleta substation, located at 5316 SE Long St. in Portland. The upgrade will increase system reliability, help prevent outages and meet the demands of growth in the surrounding area.
In addition to installing new equipment, we’re proposing to expand the substation yard and move the fence in the northwest portion of the property to accommodate the equipment and improve safety.
- Planning started: Winter 2018
- Pre-application meeting with the City of Portland: June 6, 2019
- Public hearing with City of Portland planning commission: Date to be determined
- Construction starts: Fall 2021, pending approvals
- Project complete: Summer 2022, tentative
Interested in learning more?
If you would like to understand the proposal in more detail, you’re welcome to attend the informational pre-application meeting with the City of Portland:
Thursday, June 6, 2019, from 8:30 to 10 a.m.
City of Portland Permit Center
1900 SW 4th Ave., 4th floor
Portland, OR 97201
You can also review our FAQ below, or contact us with any specific questions that you may have at 503-612-3730.
Building a brighter future for you
This is just one of many projects we’re working on to enhance and modernize the energy grid, making it smarter and more resilient, and creating a platform for a clean energy future.
Thank you for your patience as we strengthen the energy grid.
Frequently Asked Questions
What changes is PGE making to the Arleta substation?
This is a complete upgrade and expansion of the existing substation. We’ll be working in stages so your power will not be interrupted. The proposed work will include:
- Removing the existing landscaping and equipment.
- Installing new, more resilient, more secure smart grid technology that can handle a larger load.
- Expanding the substation yard and moving the fence in the northwest portion of our property to accommodate the new equipment and to provide additional equipment clearance for better safety.
- Installing sensor lights for improved security.
- Installing new landscaping that will enhance the area and meet Portland’s tree guidelines.
How long will construction be happening?
Pending approvals from the City of Portland, we’re hoping to begin construction in fall 2021 and to bring the completed substation online by summer 2022.
What effect will there be on traffic?
We want to ensure your safety during this construction project, so temporary lane closures may be needed at times. Please follow any detours and signs placed to keep drivers, cyclists, pedestrians and workers safe. Allow extra time for commuting through this area or consider alternate routes.
What's happening to the trees and other landscaping around the substation?
We will need to remove some trees and other landscaping in order to install the new equipment and expand the fence line. When construction is complete, we’ll plant new landscaping that will enhance the area and meet city tree standards.
What if I want to present testimony during the permitting process with the City of Portland?
The pre-application meeting with the City of Portland is an informational meeting only and not intended to take the place of a public hearing before the planning commission. If you wish, you’ll have an opportunity to present testimony to the commission when the hearing is scheduled. The date for the hearing is to be determined.